75 year old film director, Roman Polanski, last month filed a motion with the Los Angeles County Superior Court requesting that the case against him be dismissed because of what Polanski’s attorneys calls judicial and prosecutorial misconduct that was revealed last year in a documentary, “Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired.”
The Los Angeles County district attorney’s office on Tuesday told a court here what it expects Roman Polanski to do if he really wants the case against him dismissed: surrender first.
Prosecutors took no position regarding claims that a judge in the original case was improperly coached by a deputy district attorney who is now retired.
Tuesday’s filing provided a stark reminder of Mr. Polanski’s crime. Quoting heavily from grand jury testimony that was sealed until 2002, the new court papers describe in detail Mr. Polanski’s 1977 encounter with a 13-year-old girl with whom he had sex after photographing her for a French magazine.
In summarizing the encounter, Tuesday’s motion said Mr. Polanski, already famous as the director of “Rosemary’s Baby” and “Chinatown,” plied the girl “with multiple glasses of Champagne and a portion of a Quaalude pill, and then proceeded to orally copulate this child, have sexual intercourse with this child, and sodomize this child.” Polanski pleaded guilty to sex with a minor but fled to Paris prior to sentencing.
A hearing in the case is scheduled for Jan. 21 before Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Peter Espinoza.